Friday, August 3, 2007

Just do it already

I can't take much more of the will-he-or-won't-he Barry Bonds shenanigans. I mean, it's obvious he's going to do it, so can some pitcher please just take one for the team, send him a nice little 85-mph meatball over the plate, and let him hit the damn home run so we can all move on with our lives? Bud Selig might die if this lasts any longer; plus, I'm getting sick of defending Barry and his giant head (and his beady little eyes). I'm not going to fight to the death for this one, but I agree with Bill James that Bonds deserves admiration for his natural hitting ability and his long career. Bonds was born to hit home runs, there's no question about that, and I think he should break the record. Him hitting 756 home runs shouldn't detract from the magnitude of what the great Hank Aaron accomplished, and it won't unless we let it. And anyway, A-Rod is going to break the record in a few years, so let's focus our energy on hoping he doesn't do it in pinstripes and just let Barry do his thing. But please, Jeebus, let it end tonight.

No comments: