Thursday, August 2, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut was f-ing brilliant

Many people need desperately to receive this message: "I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone."

-- from Timequake


Just because. Also relevant, in a way, since I just finished "Mountains Beyond Mountains," which is simply fantastic and was great for me to read at a time when I'm feeling iffy about my determination to stick with the non-profit junk rather than selling out to a normal job that will actually pay me. Tracy Kidder is a very shrewd, but also very empathetic observer; Paul Farmer will make you feel shitty about the relative worthlessness of your own life but will inspire you at the same time. This isn't the best book I've read this year ("The Elementary Particles" by Michel Houllebecq definitely takes that cake, and I'll write about that at another juncture when I'm feeling crabby enough to really take on Michiko Kakutani's absurdly simplistic and unnecessarily dismissive review of said book), but I'm really glad I read it, and I recommend that others do the same. At the very least, it'll help you restore some of the brain cells you'll kill while watching "Rock of Love."

No comments: